What do Weatherization Installers and Technicians do?
Perform a variety of activities to weatherize homes and make them more energy efficient. Duties include repairing windows, insulating ducts, and performing heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning (HVAC) work. May perform energy audits and advise clients on energy conservation measures.
- Test and diagnose air flow systems, using furnace efficiency analysis equipment.
- Inspect buildings to identify required weatherization measures, including repair work, modification, or replacement.
- Maintain activity logs, financial transaction logs, or other records of weatherization work performed.
- Apply insulation materials such as loose, blanket, board, and foam insulation to attics, crawl spaces, basements, or walls.
- Prepare or assist in the preparation of bids, contracts, or written reports related to weatherization work.
- Install and seal air ducts, combustion air openings, or ventilation openings to improve heating and cooling efficiency.
- Recommend weatherization techniques to clients in accordance with needs and applicable energy regulations, codes, policies, or statutes.
- Explain energy conservation measures, such as the use of low flow showerheads and energy efficient lighting.
- Explain recommendations, policies, procedures, requirements, or other related information to residents or building owners.
- Clean and maintain tools and equipment.
- Contact residents or building owners to schedule appointments.
- Wrap air ducts and water lines with insulating materials, such as duct wrap and pipe insulation.
- Prepare cost estimates or specifications for rehabilitation or weatherization services.
- Prepare and apply weather-stripping, glazing, caulking, or door sweeps to reduce energy losses.
- Make minor repairs using basic hand or power tools and materials, such as glass, lumber, and drywall.
- Wrap water heaters with water heater blankets.
- Apply spackling, compounding, or other materials to repair holes in walls.
- Install storm windows or storm doors and verify proper fit.
Related Jobs (Weatherization Installers and Technicians)