What do Tile and Marble Setters do?
Apply hard tile, marble, and wood tile to walls, floors, ceilings, and roof decks.
- Cut and shape tile to fit around obstacles and into odd spaces and corners, using hand and power cutting tools.
- Lay and set mosaic tiles to create decorative wall, mural and floor designs.
- Align and straighten tile using levels, squares and straightedges.
- Determine and implement the best layout to achieve a desired pattern.
- Measure and mark surfaces to be tiled, following blueprints.
- Finish and dress the joints and wipe excess grout from between tiles, using damp sponge.
- Cut, surface, polish and install marble and granite or install pre-cast terrazzo, granite or marble units.
- Mix, apply, and spread plaster, concrete, mortar, cement, mastic, glue or other adhesives to form a bed for the tiles, using brush, trowel and screed.
- Apply mortar to tile back, position the tile and press or tap with trowel handle to affix tile to base.
- Level concrete and allow to dry.
- Prepare surfaces for tiling by attaching lath or waterproof paper, or by applying a cement mortar coat onto a metal screen.
- Mix and apply mortar or cement to edges and ends of drain tiles to seal halves and joints.
- Remove and replace cracked or damaged tile.
- Apply a sealer to make grout stain- and water-resistant.
- Remove any old tile, grout and adhesive using chisels and scrapers and clean the surface carefully.
- Prepare cost and labor estimates based on calculations of time and materials needed for project.
- Study blueprints and examine surface to be covered to determine amount of material needed.
- Spread mastic or other adhesive base on roof deck to form base for promenade tile, using serrated spreader.
- Cut tile backing to required size, using shears.
- Install and anchor fixtures in designated positions, using hand tools.
- Assist customers in selection of tile and grout.
- Select and order tile and other items to be installed, such as bathroom accessories, walls, panels, and cabinets, according to specifications.
- Measure and cut metal lath to size for walls and ceilings, using tin snips.
- Build underbeds and install anchor bolts, wires and brackets.
- Brush glue onto manila paper on which design has been drawn and position tiles finished side down onto paper.
Related Jobs (Tile and Marble Setters)