What do Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters do?
Lay out, assemble, install, or maintain pipe systems, pipe supports, or related hydraulic or pneumatic equipment for steam, hot water, heating, cooling, lubricating, sprinkling, or industrial production or processing systems.
- Plan pipe system layout, installation, or repair, according to specifications.
- Inspect, examine, or test installed systems or pipe lines, using pressure gauge, hydrostatic testing, observation, or other methods.
- Select pipe sizes, types, or related materials, such as supports, hangers, or hydraulic cylinders, according to specifications.
- Measure and mark pipes for cutting or threading.
- Attach pipes to walls, structures, or fixtures, such as radiators or tanks, using brackets, clamps, tools, or welding equipment.
- Assemble or secure pipes, tubes, fittings, or related equipment, according to specifications, by welding, brazing, cementing, soldering, or threading joints.
- Lay out full scale drawings of pipe systems, supports, and related equipment, following blueprints.
- Turn valves to shut off steam, water, or other gases or liquids from pipe sections, using valve keys or wrenches.
- Cut, thread, or hammer pipes to specifications, using tools such as saws, cutting torches, pipe threaders, or pipe benders.
- Remove and replace worn components.
- Install automatic controls used to regulate pipe systems.
- Modify, clean, and maintain pipe systems, units, fittings, and related machines and equipment, following specifications and using hand and power tools.
- Cut or bore holes in structures, such as bulkheads, decks, walls, or mains, prior to pipe installation, using hand or power tools.
- Inspect work sites for obstructions and to ensure that holes will not cause structural weakness.
- Operate motorized pumps to remove water from flooded manholes, basements, or facility floors.
- Prepare cost estimates for clients.
- Dip nonferrous piping materials in a mixture of molten tin and lead to obtain a coating that prevents erosion or galvanic or electrolytic action.
- Install fixtures, appliances, or equipment designed to reduce water or energy consumption.
- Install or test gray water systems, such as recycling, treatment, or irrigation systems.
- Install pipe systems to support alternative energy-fueled systems, such as geothermal heating and cooling systems.
Related Jobs (Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters)