What do Painters, Construction and Maintenance do?
Paint walls, equipment, buildings, bridges, and other structural surfaces, using brushes, rollers, and spray guns. May remove old paint to prepare surface prior to painting. May mix colors or oils to obtain desired color or consistency.
- Cover surfaces with dropcloths or masking tape and paper to protect surfaces during painting.
- Fill cracks, holes, or joints with caulk, putty, plaster, or other fillers, using caulking guns or putty knives.
- Apply primers or sealers to prepare new surfaces, such as bare wood or metal, for finish coats.
- Apply paint, stain, varnish, enamel, or other finishes to equipment, buildings, bridges, or other structures, using brushes, spray guns, or rollers.
- Calculate amounts of required materials and estimate costs, based on surface measurements or work orders.
- Read work orders or receive instructions from supervisors or homeowners to determine work requirements.
- Erect scaffolding or swing gates, or set up ladders, to work above ground level.
- Remove fixtures such as pictures, door knobs, lamps, or electric switch covers prior to painting.
- Wash and treat surfaces with oil, turpentine, mildew remover, or other preparations, and sand rough spots to ensure that finishes will adhere properly.
- Mix and match colors of paint, stain, or varnish with oil or thinning and drying additives to obtain desired colors and consistencies.
- Remove old finishes by stripping, sanding, wire brushing, burning, or using water or abrasive blasting.
- Select and purchase tools or finishes for surfaces to be covered, considering durability, ease of handling, methods of application, and customers' wishes.
- Smooth surfaces, using sandpaper, scrapers, brushes, steel wool, or sanding machines.
- Polish final coats to specified finishes.
- Use special finishing techniques such as sponging, ragging, layering, or faux finishing.
- Waterproof buildings, using waterproofers or caulking.
- Cut stencils and brush or spray lettering or decorations on surfaces.
- Spray or brush hot plastics or pitch onto surfaces.
- Bake finishes on painted or enameled articles, using baking ovens.
Related Jobs (Painters, Construction and Maintenance)