What do Helpers--Pipelayers, Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters do?
Help plumbers, pipefitters, steamfitters, or pipelayers by performing duties requiring less skill. Duties include using, supplying or holding materials or tools, and cleaning work area and equipment.
- Measure, cut, thread and assemble new pipe, placing the assembled pipe in hangers or other supports.
- Cut or drill holes in walls or floors to accommodate the passage of pipes.
- Perform rough-ins, repair and replace fixtures and water heaters, and locate, repair, or remove leaking or broken pipes.
- Assist pipe fitters in the layout, assembly, and installation of piping for air, ammonia, gas, and water systems.
- Cut pipe and lift up to fitters.
- Fit or assist in fitting valves, couplings, or assemblies to tanks, pumps, or systems, using hand tools.
- Requisition tools and equipment, select type and size of pipe, and collect and transport materials and equipment to work site.
- Mount brackets and hangers on walls and ceilings to hold pipes, and set sleeves or inserts to provide support for pipes.
- Excavate and grade ditches, and lay and join pipe for water and sewer service.
- Disassemble and remove damaged or worn pipe.
- Clean shop, work area, and machines, using solvent and rags.
- Install gas burners to convert furnaces from wood, coal, or oil.
- Fill pipes with sand or resin to prevent distortion, and hold pipes during bending and installation.
- Immerse pipe in chemical solution to remove dirt, oil, and scale.
- Clean and renew steam traps.
Related Jobs (Helpers--Pipelayers, Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters)