What do Helpers--Carpenters do?
Help carpenters by performing duties requiring less skill. Duties include using, supplying or holding materials or tools, and cleaning work area and equipment.
- Position and hold timbers, lumber, or paneling in place for fastening or cutting.
- Erect scaffolding, shoring, or braces.
- Select tools, equipment, aor materials from storage and transport items to work site.
- Fasten timbers or lumber with glue, screws, pegs, or nails and install hardware.
- Clean work areas, machines, or equipment, to maintain a clean and safe job site.
- Hold plumb bobs, sighting rods, or other equipment to aid in establishing reference points and lines.
- Align, straighten, plumb, or square forms for installation.
- Cut timbers, lumber and/or paneling to specified dimensions, and drill holes in timbers or lumber.
- Smooth or sand surfaces to remove ridges, tool marks, glue, or caulking.
- Perform tie spacing layout and measure, mark, drill or cut.
- Secure stakes to grids for constructions of footings, nail scabs to footing forms, and vibrate and float concrete.
- Construct forms and assist in raising them to the required elevation.
- Install handrails under the direction of a carpenter.
- Glue and clamp edges or joints of assembled parts.
- Cut and install insulating or sound-absorbing material.
- Cut tile or linoleum to fit and spread adhesives on flooring for installation.
- Cover surfaces with laminated plastic covering material.
Related Jobs (Helpers--Carpenters)