What do Cement Masons and Concrete Finishers do?
Smooth and finish surfaces of poured concrete, such as floors, walks, sidewalks, roads, or curbs using a variety of hand and power tools. Align forms for sidewalks, curbs, or gutters; patch voids; and use saws to cut expansion joints.
- Set the forms that hold concrete to the desired pitch and depth, and align them.
- Check the forms that hold the concrete to see that they are properly constructed.
- Spread, level, and smooth concrete, using rake, shovel, hand or power trowel, hand or power screed, and float.
- Monitor how the wind, heat, or cold affect the curing of the concrete throughout the entire process.
- Direct the casting of the concrete and supervise laborers who use shovels or special tools to spread it.
- Produce rough concrete surface, using broom.
- Mold expansion joints and edges, using edging tools, jointers, and straightedge.
- Clean chipped area, using wire brush, and feel and observe surface to determine if it is rough or uneven.
- Signal truck driver to position truck to facilitate pouring concrete, and move chute to direct concrete on forms.
- Apply hardening and sealing compounds to cure surface of concrete, and waterproof or restore surface.
- Operate power vibrator to compact concrete.
- Chip, scrape, and grind high spots, ridges, and rough projections to finish concrete, using pneumatic chisels, power grinders, or hand tools.
- Cut out damaged areas, drill holes for reinforcing rods, and position reinforcing rods to repair concrete, using power saw and drill.
- Waterproof or restore concrete surfaces, using appropriate compounds.
- Wet concrete surface, and rub with stone to smooth surface and obtain specified finish.
- Wet surface to prepare for bonding, fill holes and cracks with grout or slurry, and smooth, using trowel.
- Fabricate concrete beams, columns, and panels.
- Install anchor bolts, steel plates, door sills and other fixtures in freshly poured concrete or pattern or stamp the surface to provide a decorative finish.
- Build wooden molds, and clamp molds around area to be repaired, using hand tools.
- Cut metal division strips, and press them into terrazzo base so that top edges form desired design or pattern.
- Push roller over surface to embed chips in surface.
- Polish surface, using polishing or surfacing machine.
- Apply muriatic acid to clean surface, and rinse with water.
- Sprinkle colored marble or stone chips, powdered steel, or coloring powder over surface to produce prescribed finish.
- Mix cement, sand, and water to produce concrete, grout, or slurry, using hoe, trowel, tamper, scraper, or concrete-mixing machine.
- Spread roofing paper on surface of foundation, and spread concrete onto roofing paper with trowel to form terrazzo base.
Related Jobs (Cement Masons and Concrete Finishers)